The Grace Hopper Scholarship will allow women who has defined interest in the technology industry to attend the Grace Hopper Celebrations (GHC 20). This Scholarship will enable, encourage and empower these women to develop and utilize their skills. The Annual application for the Grace Hopper Scholarship is now open.
WHO IS GRACE HOPPER?
Grace Murray Hopper (December 9,1906-January 1, 1992) was an American born computer scientist and United States Navy rear admiral who due to her countless outstanding achievement was often referred to as ‘Amazing Grace’ was a pioneer of computer programming and a professor in mathematics. Grace was among the only four female students in the doctoral program during PhD in Mathematics studies in Yale and until the second world war she worked as an associate professor at Vassar College. She made endless and notable contributions in mathematics, electronics and engineering in the United States Navy when she joined the US Naval Reserve in 1943 as a lieutenant. She also worked for the Bureau of Ordnance Computation at Harvard. The conference was named after her to retain her legacies and as a constant reminder to women all over the world, how useful they can be in the modern society and as well give them the opportunity to explore their skills in the Tech industry.
ABOUT THE GRACE HOPPER CELEBRATION
The Grace Hooper Celebrations 2021 is a lifetime opportunity for women to start a great career in technology. This is also one of the most notable program for women in science, technology and engineering in the world. it aims at empowering and encouraging women across the globe to explore their skills in technology. Women like Grace Hopper immensely contributed high tech innovative ideas that has helped the world in the technology industry. Today, scholarships are being given by Grace Hopper to help other women to advance in technology. The scholarship provides funds career and academic workshops, networking opportunities for students at all levels
The GHC 19 will be held on October 1st-4th, 2021 in Orlando Florida. Here is the Official Timeline for the Year.
- The Call for Participation will open on January 16, 2021, at 9 a.m. PT.
- Scholarship applications will open January 16, 2021, at 9 a.m. PT.
- Abie Award nominations are open until February 13, 2021, 5 p.m. PT.
- Sponsorships will open February 26, 2021, at 9 a.m. PT.
- We recruit for volunteer opportunities throughout the year. See what opportunities are available now.
- General registration will open in mid-July. We will post pricing and details in early summer.
- Logistical information (services, shuttle routes, child care, etc.) will be posted in late summer.
This scholarships is awarded by four(4) companies which includes Microsoft, Facebook, Goldman Sach and Google AnitaB.org.
The Microsoft Grace Hopper Scholarship
The Microsoft Grace Hopper Scholarship is among the list of conference scholarships awarded yearly by the Microsoft multinational computer technology corporation founded by Bill Gates.
They have prioritized scholarships applications especially to students who needs financial aids to further their studies.
- Applicant must be a student who has or is currently pursuing a Masters or PhD degree in a four-year qualified University or College from either of these countries – Mexico, Canada, or the United States.
- Applicants should have credible knowledge or experience in computer science field. Other related STEM field like Science, Engineering, or Mathematics disciplines. .
- Applicants must have unique academic performance
- Applicants should possess exceptional leadership skills
Do not apply if:
You are an International student and do not study in any of the accepted countries(Canada, USA, or Mexico). You are not qualified for the scholarship.
High school students are not eligible to apply for the scholarship. Visit the Microsoft page for more info.
- Paid travel, hotel, and meal expenses . Funds are not not transferred to other individuals.
- Candidates will get paid registration for any of these conferences – Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing; National Society of Black Engineers Conference; Tapia Conference; Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers Conference.
The Facebook Grace Hopper Scholarships
Facebook is an American online social media and social networking service founded by mark Zuckerberg which is committed to community building, development and bringing the world together. The social Media Tech Giant made the list of companies partnering with the Grace Hopper Celebration with the mission to award the Grace Hopper Scholarship 2020 to women who has interest in computing niche . Facebook has spawned countless small business to expand and make profits. It has created thousands of jobs to the global economy. It has also focused on creating Applications and providing services that are capable of connecting billions of users across the world.
For this scholarship, Facebook will be awarding the 2020 Facebook Grace Hopper computing scholarship to a number of fifty (50) .
All-paid travel expenses, accommodation and free registration will be awarded to this women as an additional benefits.
This benefits is easily accessible by women who participated in the Grace Hopper Conference
Requirements Criteria for the Facebook Grace Hopper Scholarship:
The scholarship will be awarded to women ;
Who has, or is in the process of having a four-year Undergraduate or Graduate degree in Computer Science or other related courses – Computer Engineering, Statistics, Information System and Mathematics etc.
Do not apply: If
you are currently into any Facebook Internship program or have accepted any related offer, you must not apply for this scholarship as this may stand as a ground for disqualification.
The Goldman Sachs Grace Hopper Scholarship
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc founded since 1869 is an American multinational investment bank and financial service company headquartered at New York. it is one of the largest investment banking enterprise in the world . As a promoter of the tech industry, the company is partnering with the Grace Hopper conference to offer scholarships. The scholarship will be awarded to 25 Female Engineers on the basis of Excellent academics performance, Strong Leadership and great passion for Problem Solving.
Requirements Criteria for the Goldman Sachs Grace Hopper Scholarship
- You must have a background in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Mathematics. Other fields relating to STEM are also considered.
- Participants must be currently enrolled in a 4-year university or college, for an undergraduate program.
- Or must have been a graduate before the conference.
Benefits of the Goldman Sachs Grace Hopper Scholarship
- All accommodation both hotel and and travel expenses will be taken care of by the company.
- Participants will be given the opportunity to meet with the firm senior engineers in New York.
Google AnitaB.org Grace Hopper Scholarship
Google AnitaB.org is a global non profit organization founded in 1997 that recruits, retain and advance women in technology. It is based in Belmont, California. The organization funds both undergraduate and graduate students and faculty scholars in the Grace Hopper Scholarship.
- The Scholarship gives the recipient the opportunity to attend the GHCI conference and includes the full conference registration fee.
- The organization pays for participants flights tickets and other allowances such as meal, transport and takes care of accommodation
- Participants will be given access to GHCI’s Career Fair (for women in technology only) and when participants gets her GHC ID, she will be offered scholarship.
- Requirements criteria
Read through the criteria in order to be sure you are qualified
To be qualified for this scholarship, Participants;
- Can only accept one scholarship.
- Must be at least 18years of age.
- Must have interest and working towards getting a degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or other related technical courses (Physics, Human-Computer Interaction, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Management Information Systems).
- Must be currently enrolled in an degree program in a qualified university or college.
- Must be currently enrolled in a related degree program – if there they are doing a Masters or Doctorate program.
- Must have great passion and enthusiasm for computing.
Do not apply if you do not meet the requirements.
The Grace Hopper Scholarship Resume is most accepted by one company, the AnitaB.org Institute.
To write a resume, you should
- create an account with the Google AnitaB.org here
- Carefully give your full and classified ideas in Statement of Purpose,
- List your Research Work or Activities that promotes your Interest and Passion in Computing.
- Write on How attending or Being a GHC Scholar will impact your life goals
- Write a full paragraph on how you have successfully contributed to Women in Tech, in your field of Study or in life general
- Also include your Future plans of Helping Women In Tech.
- Write challenges that has confronted you as a woman in Technology.
- Include your CV listing your current work, GPA, past achievements, academic and work experience, research and projects with the links provided.
- You are required to send a letter of recommendation ,as part of the GHC Scholarship Resume, it would be preferable that you turn to a newer Professor or a Researcher, as this has more impact.
Currently, Facebook Grace Hopper Scholarship is Ongoing. This is your opportunity to make it to the Conference this year.